Sign up! Click here
ParlAmericas is an independent network composed of national legislatures of 35 states from North, Central, and South America, and the Caribbean.
Members of ParlAmericas are committed to promoting parliamentary participation in the inter-American system. They are also engaged in developing inter-parliamentary dialogue on relevant hemispheric issues.
Through meetings and training opportunities, year-round discussion, and follow-up action, ParlAmericas members uphold their commitment to improving hemispheric dialogue, and advancing the objectives of the organization.
ParlAmericas objectives are:
- To contribute to the development of inter-parliamentary dialogue in dealing with issues on the hemispheric agenda
- To increase the sharing of experiences, dialogue, and inter-parliamentary cooperation on issues of common interest to member states
- To help strengthen the role of the legislative branch in democracy, and in the promotion and defence of democracy and human rights
- To promote the harmonization of legislation, and development of legislation among member states
- To contribute to the process of integration as one of the most appropriate instruments for sustainable and harmonious development in the hemisphere
The main bodies of ParlAmericas are:
- The Plenary Assembly, the highest decision-making body of the organization, composed of the delegations accredited by ParlAmericas member legislatures.
- The Board of Directors, whose members are elected by the Plenary Assembly and represent the four sub-regions of the hemisphere.
- The Executive Committee, composed of the President of ParlAmericas, the 1st Vice President, the 2nd Vice President who is also the President of the Group of Women Parliamentarian, and the Secretary Treasurer.
- The International Secretariat, charged with implementing the programs and projects of the organization, and assisting the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee in the performance of their functions; located in Ottawa, Canada.
- The Group of Women Parliamentarians, a permanent working group of ParlAmericas, whose President is elected by the Plenary Assembly.
Message from the President of ParlAmericas
As parliamentarians, we are becoming more aware that the concerns and issues faced by our countries cannot be seen in isolation, but must be approached from a shared perspective. It is through dialogue promoted by organizations such as ParlAmericas that we can learn from one another, and commit to the positive interaction that will allow us to improve not only the economic, social and cultural conditions of our own countries, but those of our hemisphere as a whole.
I welcome you to ParlAmericas, and invite you to work together towards a promising future for our hemisphere – as Parliamentarians for the Americas!
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
President of ParlAmericas
Member of Parliament, Canada