Sign up! Click here
Group of Women Parliamentarians
The Group of Women Parliamentarians is the only permanent working group of ParlAmericas. It includes representatives from each of the sub-regions of the Americas – North, Central, South and Caribbean.
The Group has met every year since its creation. Its meetings and activities strengthen the work of women parliamentarians by providing a space to share and exchange experiences and knowledge from a gender perspective.
The Group is open to both men and women parliamentarians.
The current President of the Group is Ecuadorian Representative Linda Machuca Moscoso (2011-2013).
For further information about how to get involved with the Group of Women Parliamentarians, parliamentarians should contact ParlAmericas’ International Secretariat.
As determined by ParlAmericas Regulations, the Group of Women Parliamentarians has as its general objectives:
- To strengthen the leadership of female politicians through ongoing regional exchange.
- To promote the creation of conditions for equal opportunities, prioritizing the fight against poverty and the elimination of employment discrimination.
- To strengthen democracies in the countries of the Americas in an effort to achieve respect for human rights, and conditions that promote equitable and sustainable social development.
- To promote the creation of mechanisms encouraging women participation in politics.
- To strengthen women's active participation at ParlAmericas working meetings, incorporating a gender perspective into each of the topics analyzed by the organization.
Message from the President of the Group of Women Parliamentarians
Our group is the only permanent working group of ParlAmericas. We promote respect for human rights as the foundation for human prosperity and ensuring decent living conditions for everyone.
Our work seeks to include a gender perspective on the legislative agenda of our parliaments, mainstreaming hemispheric annual issues of interest.
Since 2003, we defend and promote good governance, democracy and ethics in parliamentary work. We have an annual meeting aimed at strengthening the political capacities of parliamentarians committed to the rights of women.
I welcome you to our working group space, the right place to find information about us.
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda Machuca Moscoso
President of the Group of Women Parliamentarians
Member of the Assembly of Ecuador