ParlAmericas supports parliamentary efforts to advance gender-sensitive legislative action. As a part of our gender equality program we create inclusive working spaces that foster peer-driven exchange of best practices, and provide specialized resources and support to strengthen these efforts. In close collaboration with civil society partners, our gender equality program also promotes women’s political leadership, including that of the next generation of empowered women leaders. Our work is informed by intersectional analysis, recognizing systems of discrimination and privilege that overlap with gender relations. Learn more
Parliamentary Network for Gender Equality
The ParlAmericas Parliamentary Network for Gender Equality (PNGE) promotes women’s political leadership and gender mainstreaming in the agendas and operations of the national legislatures of the Americas and the Caribbean. Learn more
Gender Equality Toolkits (Online Portal) for Parliamentarians
ParlTools is an online, interactive space for self-guided learning that features toolkits on gender equality issues tailored for parliamentarians in the English-speaking Caribbean. The portal was developed in collaboration with the UN Women Multi-country Office for the Caribbean in response to a request from the sub-region. It and provides analytical tools to assist in scrutinizing laws and budgets, promoting women's leadership, and engaging constituents in the achievement of equitable and sustainable development outcomes.
WOMEN'S POLITICAL LEADERSHIP PROJECT
ParlAmericas has launched a project to build environments that enable women’s political leadership in collaboration with the Caribbean Institute for Women in Leadership (CIWiL) and the Forum of Women in Political Parties (FONAMUPP) in Panama.
|MAPPING GENDER-BASED POLITICAL HARRASMENT|
|Policy Guide: Parental Leave|
|Promoting Women's Candidacies||Parliamentarians speak out
- Podcast: Youth and Politics in Latin America (in Spanish). Atenea, 2020.
- Youth for Gender Equality Roadmap. Plan International, 2019.
- Youth and Gender Equality Strategy. UN Women, 2017.
- Youth Participation in National Parliaments. IPU, 2018.
- Youth 2030: Working with Young People. UN Youth Envoy, 2020.
- Youth Participation in Democratic Processes. Resolution adopted by consensus by the 122nd IPU Assembly, Bangkok, April 1st, 2010.
- Action Coalitions, Generation Equality. UN Women, 2020.
- Gender Data for Generation Equality: A Brief Series. Data 2x, 2020.
- Women in the Parliament of Canada. Library of Parliament, Canada, 2020.
To learn more, please visit PNGE Activities.
Readings of interest
Evaluating the Gender-Sensitivity of Parliaments
Empowering Women for Stronger Political Parties
#NotTheCost: Stopping Violence Against Women in Politics
Gender Mainstreaming in Latin American Parliaments: A Work in Progress
International IDEA and Inter-Parliamentary Union 2011
Where are the Women? A Study of Women, Politics, Parliaments and Equality in the CARICOM Countries