Objectives of the meeting: to follow up on procedures for incorporation of FIPA as a legal entity, to establish strategies for collecting members’ contributions and financing the organization, to present the action plans for the permanent working groups, to set the dates and discuss preparations for the next Plenary Assembly, and to discuss progress on the Virtual Parliament of the Americas project.
- To discuss democratic governance and public policies with a gender perspective
- To discuss the role of parliamentarians in the fight against terrorism, the FTAA process, and the harmonization of hemispheric tax systems, and to develop recommendations for the hemisphere’s parliaments.
1. Confronting the Threat of Terrorism
2. Formalizing Parliamentary Involvement in the FTAA Negotiations
3. Fiscal Systems in the Americas: Assessing the Need for Coordinated Tax Reforms
4. Group of Women Parliamentarians
- Terrorism and Democracy in the Americas (Rut Diamint - Working Group 1)
- Central American Legislative Efforts to Combat Terrorism (Jorge Calderón - Working Group 1)
- The FTAA: Debate and Negotiations (Verónica Silva - Working Group 2)
- Tax Systems of the Americas (Juan Cristóbal Bonnefoy - Working Group 3)
- Democratic Governance: Public Policy from a Gender Perspective.The Need to Incorporate Women and Men in Regional Development Strategies (Sonia Montaño - Group of Women Parliamentarians)
- Advances and Challenges in Equal Opportunity Policies for Women (Patricia Silva Meléndez - Group of Women Parliamentarians)
- Working Group 1. Confronting the Threat of Terrorism
- Working Group 2. Formalizing Parliamentary Involvement in the FTAA Negotiations
- Working Group 3. Fiscal Systems in the Americas: Assessing the Need for Coordinated Tax Reforms
- Group of Women Parliamentarians
Objectives of the meeting: to learn about preparations for the 3rd Plenary Assembly, to establish how the working groups of the Assembly would operate, to consider resolutions to present to the plenary and to discuss other matters raised by the members.